I'm not a fortune teller, but I can tell you fairly confidently that smartphones will have some incredible capabilities in 5 years. Here are my predictions:
- Much larger internal storage capacity that exceeds current Flash memory cards. I think we'll see many smartphones that have over 100 GB of storage space. They will rival current laptops in terms of storage.
- Much faster processors that are fuel-efficient. (battery fuel). Current smartphones are still running in the MHz range. We'll see smartphones that rival current notebook processor speeds in the GHz range.
- WiMax instead of Wi-Fi. Forget coffeshop hotspots. The entire city will be a hotspot.
- Much faster data connections. 3G speed will be like 14.4 K modem speeds compared to modern broadband speeds.
- Large touch screens. All of them will have touch screens. Smartphones that lack a touch screens will be considered "antiques."
- Built-in GPS. They will all have internal GPS chips. This is becoming quite standard right now, but in 5 years, we'll see this as the norm.
- Superior voice command and voice recognition. Who needs a keyboard if you can "say it?"